The Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) reports that there are billions of dollars sitting in unclaimed or “lost” superannuation accounts. There are thousands more accounts added to the list each month.
Inactive accounts with balances of less than $6,000 are transferred into the federal government’s consolidated revenue fund. If you think you might have some old superannuation accounts that you haven’t touched in three years, don’t hand it over to the government, claim it!
The team here at Endorphin Wealth can help you remove any confusion and clean up your multiple super accounts!
Let’s take an example
You’ve had a few jobs over the years and been paid superannuation during each one. You have a number of super funds and you forget all about them until the annual statements arrive by mail.
Now you feel worried and confused. What does it all mean? Have I got them all? Is my money still safe? Am I paying for multiple insurance policies? What should I do with all this paperwork? And the worst one – am I paying too much in fees?
The usual option is to simply put them into your “too hard folder” and forget about it until next year… and then you go through all that confusion again!
But there is a better way and if you act now you can sort it all out and potentially save a lot of money!
Here is a five-step process to help you on your way:
- Collect all the superannuation statements you can find from your “bottom drawer” or print the latest from each of your online accounts.
- Make a time to meet with your experienced financial adviser to go through the paperwork.
- Seek advice and select one superannuation fund that suits your needs.
- Sign transfer forms so your adviser can help get the accounts consolidated to your chosen fund.
- Relax knowing that your super is all in one place.
Seriously, superannuation is too important to ignore. Getting your super under control can save you money in fees, cut down on paperwork, allow you to get an investment strategy in place, and help you keep track of your money.
The team at Endorphin Wealth have both the experience and knowledge to help keep clean up your superannuation accounts.